What a week I have had---fun, productive, and a bit frustrating all at the same time! Fun?-well that comes from being back with the kids at Agape-seeing how they have changed, grown up, and hearing all of their stories and news. This latter bit comes out in drips and drabs-and gives rise to some of the frustration, a., that I don't have enough time to hear all they want to say, when they are ready to say it, and b., that my language skills are so rusty that I can easily miss the significance of their words, or lack the words to respond in the way I wish I could. I try to compensate with the all-purpose "ummm/ahhh" and a hug or pat on the arm...but I know that as they get older I must slow down and improve my language skills to give them the attention and respect they deserve. Fun has also come in the form of being back here amongst my community of friends. Once again they have opened their hearts, homes and lives to welcome me home in full force-in a way that thank you just simply can not cover! I had a great day yesterday for example, with a round of golf AND a wonderful party to celebrate my 50th-great location, amazing food, and so much laughter that my cheeks will hurt for the next week!
Productive has come in the form of some terrific planning sessions at Agape where the staff has been willing to step out of the press of their everyday repsonsibilities to think, dream, and plan for the next phase of this incredible ministry. We have more work to do together this coming week, and I am looking forward to the opportunity. As an amusing aside, I spent the first three days in the office remembering part of the reason why my back always hurt here---the desk chairs are HORRIBLE! The one I was using was one I am sure I bought 9 years ago (everything gets used until it can not possibly function another day!), and after trying to make do, I did a very "frustrated Farang" ("westerner") thing and stopped at the furniture store (called "Global House"), and bought a new one! Well, you would have thought I drove a "tricked out" Mercedes into the middle of the office from the audible oohhs, and aahhs, and "Can I sit in it?" response! It is a nice chair---and I have a feeling will find it's way behind any number of desks after I leave!!!
Frustration---well, you can probably imagine how that comes up, including the language issue there is the heat and humidity, the crazy traffic and the "almost" recollection of how to get places without getting lost, the feeling that the time is already slipping by too quickly and the fact that there are only so many hours in a day, and you have to sleep some of them! Certainly manageable, and part of the experience to be sure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are missed at the U, my friend -- but you are need there, too, and I'm happy to share!
Post a Comment