Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dancing Shrimp!

I LOVE Thai food, especially in Thailand! However, there have been a few local delicacies that I have refused to sample. One notable dish is called "Goong Dan", which translates to "Dancing Shrimp". This dish is comprised of a type of shrimp that are small, almost larvae-like in appearance, with really LONG antenna. They are served alive, mixed in a bowl with some of the hottest and most sour spices imaginable! You shake the bowl, and pull off the lid, and the shrimp jump (hence the name "Dance"!), presumably because of the spices. You then scoop some up, along with the spice, and with a bit of rice, and pop the whole thing in your mouth. Well, after much cajoling by my fellow diners, I dared to give it a try! The hardest part for me is always the antenna---they just feel so wierd! However, I have to say that this was one of the spiciest things I have ever eaten in my life---and I only managed to swallow it all with the help of a large gulp of Pepsi at the end!!


No comments: